Wednesday, January 16, 2013

SBSR: a dark horse s/t

a dark horse s/t

<1> “Take Me Home” – This song is coming in quietly and then we finally get some Elliott Smith vocals.  And now all I can really hear in it is Elliott Smith, but maybe a little bit of The Lyndsay Diaries as well.  And now it’s kicking in to what I imagine Bright Eyes sounds like, but it’s also like a lighter version of the Get Up Kids in ways as well.   And now we have some strings, which is a nice touch.    Just after three minutes the song really begins to kick in.  I also hear some Rocket Summer in here, which I like.

<2> “These Butterflies are Here” – This song opens with pianos.  Then the guitar comes in and sounds like “Peaches” by PUSA.   With the vocals, this has a very common folk rock sound now.   This isn’t a bad song, it just sounds like too many other songs I’ve heard before.

<3> “The Heart Won’t Lie” – This song is a bit funkier and while it sounds like other bands still, I really feel like a dark horse is finding their sound in here somewhere.

<4> “Silence on the River of the Moon” – This is the longest of these somewhat long songs.   It takes almost two and a half minutes for the banjo to fade out and vocals to come in.   I want to create a folk rap identity and name it “Ban-Ho”.   Would that go over well, you think?   Wow, those vocals got high.   I like the banjo with the vocals though, it has a nice sound to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment