Wednesday, December 26, 2012

SBSR; The Stereo State “Crossing Canyons”

The Stereo StateCrossing Canyons
<1> “Across the Susquehanna” – We start with vocals and very minimal music, and then kick in to a heavy sort of punk rock.   I’d say it’s a heavier version of River City High, but there are also elements of Trial by Fire and Hot Water Music.   We had a nice, brief bass solo.    It just has that blue collar punk rock feel that I’ve come to know and appreciate so much.  It doesn’t rip off HWM directly though, which a lot of bands in this genre tend to do.   We have a quieter break down.   These vocals remind me of someone, I just can’t place whom yet.  I’ll also throw out a Shades Apart reference, musically. 
<2> “Beachball” – This is a faster version of the first song.  It kicks in harder, but has the same overall feel with a somewhat catchy chorus added in.   Is it The Break?  Is that who I hear in the vocals?   This is definitely loud and blue collar punk.   This definitely also has a lot of energy.  It might seem cliché at times, but it does manage to stand out just by being that much louder than this type of music normally is.   This song also ends with a somewhat interesting trickle out in a mellow way.
<3> “American Bones” – We begin with a flurry of guitar chords.   This is just some fantastic guitar work.  This song is about looking back at your high school years while drunk, which I can relate to on some level.  “They’ve graduated thousands that will soon be in debt millions” Such a great line.   So far this is my favorite song on this EP.  “The last time that I saw you, I didn’t have shit to say / you always hated waiting tables, but here we are today”  “I tried so hard to hate you, but your lies still break my heart”
<4> “Say It Again” – This song starts kind of fast and a little heavy.   It’s going to be hard to top the last song, but this growl is a pretty good start.   This song has a sense of urgency to it that I really enjoy.    Oh, so this is about a car crash I guess.  Interesting.   Don’t you cry…
<5> “Until We Meet Again” – Somewhat like the previous song, only a little less fast paced.    Nah nah nah naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
<6> “The Flood” – Another song about death?  “I just can’t put this pain to rest” Welcome to my world, brotha.  “I’m not half the man you think I am”

No comments:

Post a Comment