Wednesday, August 15, 2012

INTERVIEW: Mike Terror

1)      What do you want people to hear most when they hear your music?

On the new record (Autotopsy), I want people to hear the sounds of a man purging a soiled soul from the core of his bones.  I put everything I am into writing this record.  The best and worst of my days over the past 6 years or so.  Uncensored, untamed, and unashamed.  I'm hoping that people will be able to relate to the content, as naked as it is.  I want them to hear heart and soul.

2)      Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age?  Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.

For me, music's move in the digital/virtual direction is bittersweet.  I love the fact that music is much easier to obtain and share with the world these days, but I'm also sad that the concept of holding an album in your hands, with all of its artwork and presentation, is becoming a lost art. I believe that music is meant to be heard and enjoyed by anyone who wants to experience it.. so all of my music will be free in some format, as long as I can help it.  CD and iTunes copies have to be sold because the materials/services cost us money, but the free digital downloads should always be available at MikeTerror.com.

3)      How important of a factor do you feel that record labels play in music these days when pretty much anyone can put their music on the internet as opposed to having to hand out demo tapes at shows, the distribution record labels can offer, etc.   It just seems like it’s a bit easier these days to succeed as a band- and even build up a strong fan base- before a label possibly comes calling for you.

It's true that many aspects of promoting and spreading your music have been made easier through the mediums of modern technology, but I think record labels still have value.  If nothing else, a record label can serve as a team to back you up, and take care of all of the red tape and bullshit.  It makes it easier for the artist to concentrate on the music when you don't have to deal with all the nonsense.


4)      If you could tour with any single band or musician who would you pick and why?

KISS, Lady Gaga, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails... any of the greats really.  Mostly because it would be a blast.  Anyone of these bands would work well with our sound.

5)      Who is your favorite New Kid on the Block?

I was actually a big fan of New Kids on the Block when I was little. I had their cassette tapes, videos, etc.  If I remember correctly, my favorite was Donny. Probably because he gave off the impression that he perhaps misbehaved on a regular basis.  It's pretty surreal to see him in movies these days.  Going from "Hanging Tough" to "SAW" is a pretty big leap.

6)      Who would win in a musical fight: Jack Black or Jack White?

I'll admit that I've never really been a big fan of any of Jack White's projects, so that probably means I'm a tad biased towards Jack Black.  All of the Tenacious D material is golden to me.  Also, Jack Black's appearance on Yo Gabba Gabba in the second season was pretty solid.  To date, the coolest thing I have seen Jack White do was play Elvis Pressley in the movie "Walk Hard".  "...mehnm.. nn LOOK OUT man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment