2) Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age? Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.
We absolutely think that the virtual age of music is the most exciting thing to happen to music in a long time. We've reached a point in technology where a band can make something amazing, release it themselves, and get traction from that music simply because it is that good. It's forcing the bands who have connections and money to have to compete with the rest of the world, which is great, and must be terrifying for a lot of the music business. As far as releasing digital music for free, we plan to do that forever. I don't see the point in depriving someone of your music if they are interested enough to download it, especially if it's not costing you anything for them to listen to it.
3) How important of a factor do you feel that record labels play in music these days when pretty much anyone can put their music on the internet as opposed to having to hand out demo tapes at shows, the distribution record labels can offer, etc. It just seems like it’s a bit easier these days to succeed as a band- and even build up a strong fan base- before a label possibly comes calling for you.
Exactly. I think the record labels that will stay relevant are the ones who have realized that a label is about assembling a lineup of really good artists and promoting them really well, rather than controlling the creative process or even loaning the band money. The fact is that everybody can release music themselves, and now it's just a matter of getting the music to as many ears as possible. I think that's where record labels and managers remain useful. That being said, we know several bands who have picked up a ton of steam while completely managing and promoting themselves.
4) If you could tour with any single band or musician who would you pick and why?
There are a lot of huge bands that we would die to play with like Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, or Tame Impala. Right now though I think Grizzly Bear is doing some of the most exciting things in music, and I think watching them tour would be mind blowing. I'm going to choose them because I think they're about to do some really incredible things with their music.
5) Who is your favorite New Kid on the Block?
I mean, we have to choose Marky Mark. It sounds like a cop out, but he's just so damned charming. Also, none of the other Kids were in Boogie Nights, so I don't remember their names.
6) Who would win in a musical fight: Jack Black or Jack White?
Jack White is obviously the better musician, but I would have to expect Jack Black to win a musical fight. I mean he would be harnessing the power of Satan and Ronnie James Dio and Meatloaf, which is hard to beat. Also, I've never seen Jack White explode a human head with his voice.