Wednesday, August 8, 2012

INTERVIEW: bloody knives

            Though they technically tend to fall into the shoegaze category, Austin, Texas based bloody knives is closer to what would have been considered industrial music back before, you know, certain bands came along and ruined it all.   I’m speaking specifically, of course, of a time back when Nine Inch Nails had released Wish (Though they still have solid albums after that) and before it became somewhat more fashionable.   The band bloody knives takes me back to that time when Benjamin Bacon first introduced me to the band Front 242 and my life from that moment on would never be the same again.

1)  What do you want people to hear most when they hear your music?

Whatever they want to get out of it.  I try and leave some things vague on purpose, melodies and lyrics.  I want the listener to fill in the blanks.
2)     Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age?  Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.

Is music in the virtual age?  Sure, maybe 90% there.  People still buy CD's, but not like they did 10 years ago, or even 2 years ago.

Bandcamp is a good site, good for fans.  Soundcloud seems to be mostly musicians networking with other musicians, still a good site.

Spotify sucks dude.  That shit is lame.

As far as downloading, any money a fan pays to the artist helps the artist.  If fans are cool enough to find a way to pay something, whether it be a physical release, merchandise, concert, etc....that's always good.  The more we are able to make the more work we can take off to be able to tour, its pretty simple for us.   

When I buy music I buy vinyl.  If I like a band and they have a vinyl if I've got money I'll buy it every time. 

I barely download music, free or otherwise, because I don't want to dig through a mass of songs.  I listen to most new bands online somewhere instead. 

I listen to maybe one or two records for a month or two at a time, then listen to everything else randomly.  My DJ friends have great taste in music, that helps me find a ton of good music, that's pretty much where I find most of what I like, my friends with good taste. 

3)      How important of a factor do you feel that record labels play in music these days when pretty much anyone can put their music on the internet as opposed to having to hand out demo tapes at shows, the distribution record labels can offer, etc.   It just seems like it’s a bit easier these days to succeed as a band- and even build up a strong fan base- before a label possibly comes calling for you.

Record labels must have some combination of most of these things to help the band and help themselves: time, energy, connections and money.   

If the labels didn't matter then bands would stop being on them.  Almost every major band is on some sort of label, or has their own support system that serves the same purpose.  There is too much work to be done, and it gets to a point where its difficult for the band to handle all of it at once.  Bands are generally inefficient in these matters anyway. 

Labels are not as important to the process as they once were, but in my experience its really not a whole lot different today than it was 20 years ago regarding who gets popular and how the system works.  Take out the factor of record sale profits and the ability for wide scale distribution and the same remnants are leftover.

If anything the new system has allowed for more creative bands to gain an audience without changing their style.  That is huge just by itself.

A limited number of bands get popular, just like before.

A band has to have success on their own or the label isn't going to be interested in investing money in the group.  The label needs to feel that they have a chance of making a profit off of the work.  Now that money to develop bands is gone from the equation this is more important than ever.
4)      If you could tour with any single band or musician who would you pick and why?

Nine Inch Nails.  Their live show would be awesome, and the crowd would probably dig us.
5)      Who is your favorite New Kid on the Block?

I don't even know those dudes names.  Jake (drums) had 3 sisters, so he knows all about that shit. 

Jake says Jordan is his favorite.  Jordan rulz.
6)    Who would win in a musical fight: Jack Black or Jack White?

 Jack White is more hateful.  I'm going with Jack White on this.  

Jack Black sucks dude. That shit isn't funny.  And that movie he did where he teaches kids how to rock was just fucking terrible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment