Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SBSR: The Wee Bees “Sunset Parade (EP)”

The Wee Bees “Sunset Parade (EP)”
<1> “The Traveler” – It’s not quite indie rock and it’s not quite pop rock, but it’s somewhere in between there.   I’d go for an obvious Beatles reference, but that seems to be too easy—The Beatles are in all music really, aren’t they?
<2> “Wintergreen” - This song has somewhat of a Pinback quality to it.  It’s faster paced, like a surf rock guitar or maybe Blue Oyster Cult.   I’m still not entirely sure how to describe this, but it is quite good. 
<3> “The Whale” – I like the background guitar harmony with the vocals at the start.  It makes me think of Nada Surf, though it’s not really close to that. I could throw in a Time Spent Driving reference here as well.
<4> “Kitschy Pink Flamingos” – Pink Flamingos is a great John Waters movie.   This song has a faster tempo than its predecessors, but I still can’t quite put my finger on the exact sound yet. 
<5> “Sunset Parade” – All right, this band has me stumped for sure.   This song kind of starts out of nowhere, which is fun, and then it gets a bit drum heavy, which is also nice. 
                Welp, this band has managed to create a sound that is something between indie rock and pop rock, but not quite either of those and I can’t find a steady footing to compare them with, so apparently they’ve done well since they have this music buff stumped.   Give ‘em a listen, even if just to see if you can compare them to someone that made music before them
Recommended Downloading Level:  4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment