Tuesday, July 24, 2012

MP3 REVIEW: Seagreen Records Presents “Singles on Valentine’s Day”

Seagreen Records PresentsSingles on Valentine’s Day
                There are ten different bands on here, ten tracks, so I’m going to do thoughts one by one, which is how I like to handle compilations most of the time.
1)      The Guru – Considering he’s singing about surfing, I’m going to have to say that this is surf rock.  Oh, wait.   Maybe he’s saying “search”.   Oh well, it’s still surf rock, straight down to the wipeout-esque guitar riff.   Still fun though.
2)      High Pop – Buddy Holly underwater.
3)      The Hiya Dunes – This is either lo-fi or poorly recorded.   Let’s say both.
4)      Bear Mountain – I’m not really sure what that was.  1960’s rock meets slave chant?
5)      Boy Crush – This is definitely from the 1960’s or Shannon and the Clams.
6)      Madson – The first time I listened to these songs, not paying attention to the bands or tracks or anything, this song got stuck in my head because of the “What made me so bitter” line.   This will be my favorite band on this compilation because this is just powerful stuff here.
7)      Major Bummer - A short song that’s a cross between lo-fi and garage.
8)      Jake Shaker – A voice and an acoustic guitar.
9)      The Wayfarers – Amy Winehouse.
10)   Pinto Bay – Lo-fi?  Why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment