Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: The Wiggins “Export EP”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
The Wiggins “Export EP”
01: “Giant Killer” [2:56] -- We start with rusty guitars and snotty vocals.   It kind of reminds me of The Runaways right off.  Then near the chorus there’s this nifty little guitar hook.    I don’t know what this falls under exactly, but it’s something between rock ‘n’ roll and punk.   Maybe punk ‘n’ roll?
02: “Narcotic” [3:39] -- AHHH!!  These opening notes sound like an alarm clock.  And they are apparently not going away.   This almost sounds like something a band would make to see if they could annoy you, you know to kind of see how much you could tolerate before you walked out of the club they were playing at.    Well, now that it’s kicked in it’s a bit better.  It feels cleaner, like Smoking Popes meet some distortion.   And the alarm clock returns.
03: “WHATS WRONG” [2:19] -- Now this song sounds a bit like The Mr. T Experience.   This I can dig, with that Husker Du vocal sound behind some clean punk rock.   It’s simplistic in its chorus, but not overly catchy.    If there was a full album that sounded like this, I’d be inclined to listen to it.
                While the last song may have saved this band for me, those first two songs almost prevented me from getting there.   If you don’t download these songs, you’re not really missing anything.
Recommended Downloading Level:  1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment