Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Rich Girls [ Interview # 2 0 3 ]


1) What are your thoughts on how there are seemingly rich girls out there who are famous mainly for being rich? 
It's ridiculous. And for the record, we're not rich and most of us aren't girls. I started Rich Girls when I was living in London and was broke and lonely and didn't have a band. So the name was a kind of dark joke. It worked fine in London because the irony was clear. It's terrible in New York. 

2) The term "female vocals" has come up a lot around me. People have said not to use it while others have said it's inappropriate. What is your stance on it and if you think it shouldn't be used what would be the alternative?
I'm not offended but it's a lazy descriptor. Punk vocalist, pop crooner, belted, airy, intimate--there are better ways to describe a singer. 

3) Your music has been released on cassette.  How do you feel about cassettes and just the tangible quality of physical music in general?
The mix tape is an amazing form but cassettes aren't great in terms of reach. I love vinyl most as a physical format. I have a decent collection. About a thousand records. 

4) NYC seems to be everything all at once - the good and the bad.  What is it like being from there?
We're from San Francisco originally but I've been in New York three years now. I love everything about it. The grime, the weather, the horrible expense of it. It keeps you sharp. 

5) "BLACK CITY" is the new album and from the "Black Panther" movie to "All Black" by clipping. it seems to be that "Black is the New Black", to use a tired cliche. What is the story behind the name "BLACK CITY" and in this oversensitive age of social media are you concerned you might be called racist?
I started writing BLACK CITY after the election when I was thinking a lot about oppositional forces. Other centers of power that could oppose what was happening in the White House. 
And to me it was this idea of a city filled with the sound of the underground and open all night. So the title came from that. Plus the record is very personal, so the black in BLACK CITY is also me. It's not even adjacent to racist. 

6) Who are some of your biggest influences?
We get compared to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Beach House a lot which is an interesting mix. But my influences are more elliptical than that. 
When I started Rich Girls I was chasing a new sound. Something that was both primitive and polished. That comes from a lot of places for me. 
American garage rock, British punk, low-fi R & B, disco, surf. 

7) If you could play one show anywhere with any two artists who would you choose, where and why?
Iggy Pop anywhere, any time.  

8) Final thoughts, questions, shout outs, etc... ??
You seem to like cassettes. If you want I'll send you ours.

Not to review. Just to have. As an object. 

No comments:

Post a Comment