Tuesday, March 20, 2018

CD Review: Super Unison "Auto" (Deathwish Inc.) [Deathwish Inc. 10/$10 #02]


Copy & Paste Intro: One thing we at Raised by Gypsies love is a good deal.   Deathwish Inc. offered up ten compact discs for ten dollars and I could't help but jump on it.   I have received promos from Deathwish Inc. in the past, but between moving and just life in general I'm not sure how many I still have- the only CD I can tell you I still have for certain is by The Dedication.   So take a trip with me, shall you, as I explore ten compact discs for ten dollars.


When I was into hardcore music and very little else (I still enjoy hardcore just don't hear enough of it that I like anymore) I felt it was a very male dominated scene.   Walls Of Jericho was one of the few bands fronted by women back then, though I did manage to find this band called Morgan Storm who I grew to love.    Even now, decades later, the vocal stylings of Meghan O'Neil are left with little to be compared with.    Perhaps I Hate Sex?   Few other artists come to mind. 

So let me ask you this simple question: Why don't you think there are as many hardcore bands fronted by women as there are by men?   What makes a guy go "Yeah, I wanna sing in a hardcore band" but somehow doesn't seem to affect as many women?  Because if you look at history and the current state of the world I'd say women have a lot more to be upset about than any man.   (Also, if some kind of underground movement involving women in hardcore music exists please tell me)

First listening to "Auto" brings out that sense of "Oh wow, a woman fronting a hardcore band" because as I've said it's not something you see every day, which is sad, but the more that you listen to this album and these songs the more you should grow to appreciate it for what it is and that includes all aspects of the music, not just the vocals/lyrics (Even though those are right on)

Somewhere between hardcore and punk, Super Unison has a style which is... Well, calling it energetic would be an understatement.    While I initially heard bits of Refused, the more I listened I just couldn't put my finger on who else this sounded like and then it came to me all at once and I realized the answer was Snapcase, which is also an amazing influence to be picking out of here.

Oddly enough, these songs can be somewhat catchy (see: "Losing You") and perhaps more than thinking of the members of the band individually the remarkable thing to take away from this album is the musical talents of all involved.   With hardcore and punk music people tend to think of it as being played as fast as you possibly can and, admittedly, sometimes it's more difficult to play at that speed, but the sheer talent of these musicians is one of the stereotypes about hardcore music I would like for them to crush: just because it's played fast doesn't mean it's played poorly.

While "Auto" was released back in 2016 it doesn't seem like that long ago so it will obviously withstand the test of time.   You need to be listening to Super Unison now more than ever.    There is also a self-titled album Super Unison put out in 2015 which was released on cassette.   I'm really happy they have a cassette out there but the fact that it's sold out makes me sad.   Still, as per their Facebook page it seems Super Unison is still together (they played a show March 5th) so if they are working on new material I would be really into that. 


Deathwish Inc. 10/$10 Deal: IS OVER.
"Auto" On The Deathwish Inc. Store: https://deathwishinc.com/products/super-unison-auto









No comments:

Post a Comment