Tuesday, July 22, 2014

TV Review: Bitten


                Back when I was watching WWE regularly, I’d watch Friday Night Smack Down on the Syfy Channel and occasionally see commercials for new shows.    All I knew about this show was that it was about werewolves, but in a genre filled with vampires and zombies it was a welcome change so I was eager to check it out.   Some odd amount of months later, it came to Netflix and I finally got around to watching it.   Coincidentally, when I looked it up on iMDB I saw that the second season would premiere in 2015, a note which gave me hopes for it to be decent as well.

                I have quite possibly never been so wrong about a show before this one.   Every time I slightly enjoyed this show, my feelings were pulled back by what I like to call the soap opera effect.    The first episode left me with mixed feelings, but pilots can sometimes do that to you, so I checked out the second and third episodes together and was left intrigued.

                The premise of this story centers around a pack of werewolves who have a home that is kind of like their lair, only some of the members have since gone off in other directions to pursue their own lives.  Well, they all come back home when a number of dead bodies start showing up in their woods, trying to at least get their attention if not expose them. 

                There is sort of a method behind this all, and there are clips of the back-story mixed in with real time to help give you some idea of what’s going on, but overall this is just a love story.   And I know love is the heart of most stories, it’s just that it is so prevalent here that I can’t help but feel this is more like “Days of Our Lives” with werewolves than anything resembling actual science fiction.

                It was only really the third episode that gave me hope this show might not be a complete miss, but after that the follow through just didn’t end up paying off for me.    The main male lead is painted as a ruthless bad ass that shows no mercy and the whole enemy is designed around revenge on him, but who is to say that the supposed anti-hero isn’t really the villain?

                The show has given up enough male nudity for any woman or gay man to be addicted, but also a fair amount of slight female nudity as well to appease the horny teenage boy crowd.   Seeing as how I am neither of those—which is somewhat irrelevant any way because I’d never watch a show for the sexual content—I am only left to point out the lack of character development.   


                At the end of the day, this entire series just becomes a whole lot of “who cares” for me as there are neither characters nor storylines worth investing in.    I struggled to make it through the first season, so the second is obviously something I will be skipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment