Monday, July 21, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: The Editor “Editorials” (Illuminated Paths)


                For purposes of this cassette, it is best to think of The Editor as being somewhere between that seapunk and vaporwave genre, though I’m not sure exactly which one this fits into best or if it just more than likely seems to carve out its own niche.

                This is smoov jazz with beats.   There is definitely some saxophone love going on here, and Beverly Hills Cop action as well.   There is also an audio clip on Side A about The Weather Channel (lifted from the television, if you will) and I am reminded that, yes, this does kind of sound like the bits and pieces of music they use during their broadcasts.  (My wife used to always make me watch The Weather Channel—thank goodness for not having cable)

                Oh yeah, and Side A also has a song that could be a cover of that “Almost Paradise” song.   You know, the one where they swear they see forever in your eyes.    Yeah, it has that kind of stuff going on in the background of it, but luckily there are no audio clips.

                Do you think that The Editor is a reference to a newspaper?  There is weather in the newspaper, I think at least.   I like to think of the name as being more like The Doctor, from Doctor Who though I’m not the biggest fan of that show.   Yes, The Editor… I rather like that.   “Who are you?”  “I’m The Editor”.  I’m going to steal that one now. 






No comments:

Post a Comment