Wednesday, May 21, 2014

notsoterriblemovie REVIEW: Wrong


            This is the second movie that I've seen by the multi-talented Quentin Dupieux and his previous one, “Rubber”, I proudly own on DVD so I might be a little biased here because I already like him going into this.   At the same time though, “Rubber” remains one of my all-time favorite movies and easily one of the best in the 21st century, so I might also be a little tougher on this film for that.

            It took me a little while to realize what was going on, but when you stop thinking about what is happening in this movie and why then it all begins to make sense.  We open on a scene of a van engulfed in flames as a fireman squats in the middle of the road.  I initially thought this would be explained as the movie went on-- that we would come back to this point by the end or so-- but once I realized we weren't going to I quickly sat back, relaxed and just enjoyed the movie.

            The story revolves around the character Dolph Springer and his quest to find his missing dog, Paul.   The characters he meets along the way (Most of which he already knew) are just sort of... off.  The clock goes from minute marker :59 to :60 right off.  People seem to say what they feel/think instead of cleverly covering up with little lies.  And, oh yeah, Dolph Springer continues to go to his job which he was fired from three months prior and it constantly rains inside the building for whatever reason.

            As with his prior film though, if nothing else from Quentin Dupieux I have learned that rather than asking why it is best just to take things as having no reason.  This principle of asking why could just as easily be applied to any movie, as sometimes we just don't know why we do what we do, and sometimes movies don't have to make sense to be good.

            What exists within these frames of film are just delightful characters with all of their randomness (Steve Little has a particularly superb performance) a plot wrapped in mystery, drama, humor and just all around “What did I just watch?” moments and a plot that makes sense from beginning to end.   Though it may not seem it, there is a specific path that “Wrong” follows, and though it might be the wrong path (if you'll pardon the pun), it is still nonetheless a path.  It's not like things are just happening randomly and with no purpose, so as just to seem like a series of events strung together/ 

            Overall, I really enjoyed “Wrong”,   I don't know how I would compare it with “Rubber” exactly because even though they are both from the brain of Quentin Dupieux, they also have their differences.  It is in this vein that I like to think of this as being not the film that it is, but rather more closely related to a sophomore album by a band you enjoy.    It's not necessarily better or worse, and in some ways it's not even the same, it's just... more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment