Wednesday, March 19, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: September Girls "Cursing the Sea" (Fortuna Pop)



            When I first put on September Girls, I had no idea what to expect other than the fact that I was fairly certain they’d had female vocals because they were those type of girls and not the type of band that calls themselves [Something] Girls and then has a guy singing.   When thinking about how this could sound though, I never imagined it would be quite this good.
            Hints of Warpaint come out in more of a pop rock way, and overall I guess that can just be chalked up to being dream pop with psychedelic undertones.   There are guitar hooks galore, which bring out that nice indie punk vibe that could also be attributed to a band like Heart. 

            I immediately wondered two things about this album when I figured out how awesome it is:  What other music do they have and how is this available in a physical format?   The answer to the second question is that this is available as a digital download, CD and/or record via their label and I do plan on buying at least one of those to help show them support.   As for their other music, this appears to be their debut album but they have a single that isn’t on this album but came before it and is called “Danny Wood”, thus answering my once repeated interview question: “Who is your favorite New Kid?”


            Overall, what September Girls do with this album is they demonstrate how a band can pull from influences such as Heart, Blondie and other greats, yet still craft a sound all of their own and in a modern sense as well.   There are quite a few number of bands I quickly write off because they took closely resemble a Rock N Roll Hall of Famer, but those bands need to take some serious notes from September Girls.   

No comments:

Post a Comment