Wednesday, February 19, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: TRANZMIT “Deep Video” (Arachnidiscs Recordings) [Part 2]

(This is Part 2 to the Ross Baker review which was Part 1 and Side A)

                As I listened to the Ross Baker side of this split tape, I realized that it was an ever changing and growing experience, not too much unlike a living being.   This made me decide on a two part review, one for each side, and I must say that I do believe I made the right call.

                The TRANZMIT side of this split begins with an audio clip discussing music being played outside in the snow by a street musician who I assume is probably not TRANZMIT.   The voice utters the phrase “Just put the money in there; that’s all we care about, right?” in regards to whether people give him money because he is in fact or a good musician or they just feel sorry for him playing outside in the cold.

                This line of retrospection is repeated, chopped, screwed and all sorts of things are done to the audio of it every which way but loose.  This seems to become a theme for the TRANZMIT installment as we then start with a Dr. Pepper commercial and are seemingly flipping through the stations.

                What’s funny about this next section is that there are also clips chopped up and screwed in various ways, but my mind (since I’m listening to a tape) first jumps to the notion that the person making this is flipping through radio stations. 

                Granted, there is probably very little flipping being done as the audio clips were probably much more carefully chosen than such as the method I used as a pre-teen with my finger on the record button of my tape deck, looking for my favorite radio song.

                I also think that- on some level- of this was to have a visual image with it and not just be audio, it would display a person flipping through television channels as opposed to an FM tuner.   It could be the tape, the fact that I’m old or the audio clips themselves, but my mind always does seem to go to radio over television.

                While I had to create an entire review for the Ross Baker side, I also feel accomplished in creating an entire review for the TRANZMIT side because, well, it is also its own sort of entity.  You should be lucky to have the two of them together like this. 










No comments:

Post a Comment