Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Bing Satellites & Daniel Land “King Midas in Reverse”

http://bingsatellites.bandcamp.com/album/king-midas-in-reverse

               I don’t know why Bing Satellites and Daniel Land got together (or how) and I don’t really care.   To me, it’s like asking who first put peanut butter and chocolate together.  I love Reese’s Pieces and peanut butter cups, among other chocolate plus peanut butter treats, so does it really matter? 

                If something is good and it works, my theory is to just let it be.  If two of my favorite musicians want to come together and collaborate then I’m all for it.   Count me in and show me where to sign up to listen to it.

                On these instrumental, ambient, piano driven songs we hear things that go between soundscape and landscape.   You know, I will often times compare music to movies or television shows to sort of show the comparison based upon that piece of work.

                While I don’t necessarily have a specific idea of what to compare this to in the sense of being a soundtrack, I can tell you that it is quite the opus of the movie compared to most albums out there.  I tend to see albums as being either television shows (22 to 42 minutes) or movies that average between 90 and 120 movies.  

                Basically, most musical albums could be seen as your typical television show or feature length movie.   There is nothing wrong with that and it doesn’t have any negative or positive implications.  It’s the difference between Bridesmaids and Bride Wars, really.

                This album, however, which tells a story just in its name, is something more of the epic movie that is something that spans quite longer than the normal movie.  It’s the two and a half to three hour movie that flies by faster than the hour and a half movie at times.

                I know that there are probably some really bad movies out there that are made worse by being really long, thus seemingly never-ending, but  whenever I think of really long movies I always think of the good ones, the ones I like:  Most Tarantino movies, Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy (even at three hours a piece), “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”, and the list goes on and on. 


                “King Midas in Reverse” is in a class with those movies and it is a fine class to be in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment