Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin "Fly by Wire" (Polyvinyl)

            When I first heard of this band, I thought their name was kind of funny.  It was kind of funny in the way that Say Hi To Your Mom For Me and Saturday Looks Good to Me are funny band names.  And then as time went on, I got used to it and thus began focusing mostly on the music.

            Or maybe this band is just burnt out; I’m not sure.  But this album sounds like either The Wrens or what I had imagined once that the Eels sounded like, then it also crosses into familiar territory with EFS and The Rocket Summer.

            I’m also pretty certain that SSLYBY’s song “Loretta” borrowed some parts from that Weezer song about an island in the sun (whoop whoop).  If there is a lawsuit there, I could see the grounds, though I know Weezer probably doesn’t care enough at this point in their careers to sue over a catchy hook.


            Essentially, this album is available as a cassette for $8 through their Band Camp.  Not only do I think these songs would sound bad on tape, I think there isn’t a medium they would sound acceptable on.   And yes, my turning down a tape is a pretty big deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment