Friday, July 12, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Sun Devoured Earth “This Static Life”

                If you give “This Static Life” by Sun Devoured Earth a quick listen or just listen to it half-heartedly to review, you would probably think it was instrumental.    There are some vocals in these eight songs though, they are just sparse.    That being said, this album is obviously quite music heavy.
                Listening to this reminds me of the band Thursday, which then makes me want to simply call this post rock.   There are some distorted guitar riffs and just hauntingly wonderful beats within these songs though.   It reminds me most of post rock probably because this sounds like something I would hear on the Deep Elm label.
                In fact, I’m pretty sure that on more than one occasion I have listened to a band from Deep Elm briefly and wrote them a note as being instrumental, then came back later to listen to the entire album through and found out that they had vocals.
                I also feel I must draw a comparison with this to one of my other favorite bands (because Sun Devoured Earth is a favorite here) which is Eyes Like Mirrors.   
                But yes, if you are a fan of either Deep Elm or just rocking music in general, then this is something you need flowing through your speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment