Friday, July 12, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: RLMDL "Before Then Was Now LP"

$5 CAD to Download // Free to Stream

            Not all too long ago, I listened to RLMDL for the first time with the double single “Pretty Boy / Barcelona”.   I couldn’t recall whether or not I reviewed it (Check this fact) but I remember the music being instrumental and electronic.   For whatever reason, at the time, I just wasn’t into it.   I was not impressed.

            Then as I’m searching Band Camp like I always do, I stumbled across the name RLMDL again and this full length album.   For whatever reason, I remembered not liking RLMDL but I also only remembered listening to maybe one of their songs, so I decided to give this album a chance because a well constructed album could define a band much better than a mere song. 

            When I pressed play for the first time on this album, I felt like I was truly discovering RLMDL for the first time.   A mix of dream pop and synth pop, this music also has hints of new wave and naturally The Breakfast Club.   The lyrics are somewhat of a predictable rhyme in ways, but it just means you’ll be singing along faster.

            All too often in this world of music it becomes too easy to dislike a band that you once liked.   So much more do we hear people say, “Yeah, their new album is good but not as good as the old one”.   I truly do feel that as quickly as someone can turn on a band that they like, it’s that much harder to actually change your mind from bad to good. 

            I went into “Before Then Was Now” fully expecting not to like it, to merely write it off and then move on, never having to worry about the name RLMDL again.   This, to me, was the last chance for RLMDL in a lot of ways and what it actually did was turn around to bite me in the ass because this is one of the finest albums not only of 2013 but that I’ve had pump through these earbuds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment