Monday, July 1, 2013

INTERVIEW: Dead Western (Troy Mighty)

 
1)    Your voice is something that I really enjoy but seems to frighten my wife.  Do you feel like that it is a hindrance on your music at all?

Well yes, thinking of someone like your wife, and no, in regards to your tastes.. I am sure it works for some and not for others, but there's very little I can do about that.. I will honestly sometimes listen back to recordings and enjoy all aspects of the music except the sound of my own voice!

2)      Your second album is titled “Suckle at the Supple Teats of Time”.  Is that to lead us to believe that time is female?

No, just supple.

3)      You are from the United States west coast.  Do you believe the west coast is one or two giant earthquakes away from either becoming an island or underwater?

I do think that the earth is very obviously swallowing us back up. I am a bit spoiled where I live, to not be feeling the effects of this so directly, yet.  We are witnessing an incredible change in weather patterns and the frequency of natural disasters, and I imagine it will only be a matter of time before California and many other places are underwater.

4)      What is the silliest thing about your band that you don’t think would expect from you for whatever reason?  (Being a big fan of Spongebob would be a for instance)

I guess based on what we put out to the public, the silliest thing is that we're actually all quite serious.

5)      John Wayne or Clint Eastwood?

I've never actually seen either in action. I only recently watched my first Western movie, High Noon. Maybe I'd prefer John Eastwood.

6)      If someone were to start a band called “Alive Eastern” would you tour with them?  Would you create that band and make your vocals high pitched ala Alvin and the Chipmunks?

If it were appropriate for reasons beyond the band name. I used to sing a handful of things in rather high-pitched ways, check out the first two seven inches.

7)      What is something people can expect from to take away from your live show that they might not from listening to your CDs?

A performance. An experience. A captivation? One week ago in Erfurt, Germany, we received a nice compliment from a girl who said the one of her hobbies was staring off, with a blank expression on her face, and that we allowed her to practice her hobby very well.

8)      For some reason, your music really reminds me of the music of trees.  And when I say that, I mean that if trees were able to speak (Or if people heard them speak) I believe the music that they make would sound a lot like Dead Western.  Have you secretly heard the trees speak and been influenced by them as such?

I feel the most comfortable surrounded by them, so perhaps. Many others have made similar references.. I don't know why.

9)      What is next for Dead Western in terms of recorded music?

Hopefully finding a producer to work with, as I have realized that I am not one. The sounds with the band are becoming bigger and scarier, and the sounds in my head need much more clarity in their realization.
I've also been taking the opposite route, and recording some new songs in very simple ways, to contrast the density which can sometimes distract from the root of a song.

10)  Final thoughts, herbal tea recipes, favorite books, etc… ??

Our favorite book is "Final Thoughts on Herbal Tea Recipes", by Martin Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment