Wednesday, June 26, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: KNIFIGHT "Dark Voices"


$7 to Download // A bunch of other stuff // Free to Stream

            Over a year ago, I reviewed the KNIFIGHT release titled “The End is KNIFIGHT”, which I thought was a clever play on words for an album title given their band name.   Apparently, I wasn’t that high on that release because I thought it was going to be hardcore at least more of an artcore type of sound.   Here is word for word what I wrote back in May of 2012 (Making that review now basically obsolete):

These are six modern songs bordering on music from the 1980’s.    Think of bands along the lines of The Bravery and The Killers.  Not what I expected from this name (I was thinking it’d be hardcore)”
            Now we’ve made it to the big 2-0-1-3 and I found out that KNIFIGHT has come back with this new album called “Dark Voices”.   This is the time when I make two confessions to you, my dear readers, about my music listening experiences. 

            Bands that I listen to and actually review fall into one of two categories for me: 1) I like them and I remember why I like them or 2) I don’t like them but then quickly forget why I don’t like them.   Unless if a band really stands out for whatever reason, I tend not to remember how I feel about it.  What’s even worse is that if I give the band a less than favorable review, I tend not to remember why. 

            So, when I searched through new music from Texas and saw KNIFIGHT my thought process went from “I know that name” to “I can’t remember if I liked them or not” to “Well, at least it’s someone familiar so that makes me happy”.   I suppose if I wanted to save time and effort (or redirect my efforts) I could simply look at the old review first and see what I thought about this band so as not to have to go through the process of listening to them again and thus being reminded how I feel about them. 

            That would probably be better done by someone who doesn’t review as much music as I do, so I just continue to listen until I can see names like Mormon Toasterhead and know better than to listen to them again.

            Luckily for me, this is only my second time listening to something by KNIFIGHT and I actually really enjoy this album.   It could be the soundtrack to an Eddie Murphy movie, combined with the new wave/Joy Division factor or for something more modern I’d compare KNIFIGHT (in the best possible way) to Interpol, The Killers and The Illegal Wiretaps.
            For whatever reason, when I listened to this KNIFIGHT album, I didn’t come in with the mindset of hoping they’d be something that they’re not.  Rather, I came in with a positive outlook because the name was familiar to me, though I couldn’t directly relate it back to a positive or negative emotion.    This is one of those instances where I am truly glad that I didn’t just write this off and say “Oh, I’m not going to like this” because I do enjoy this so much and pretty much forgot about what that old review said until I just pulled it up now for the purposes of this review.

            So, to KNIFIGHT, my dear readers and everyone else involved, I sincerely apologize for my prior review of this band, though without it I wouldn’t be where I’m at with this review, but still, please accept my apology for me getting upset for you not being what I thought you were going to be.   Your band is wonderful and carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment