Tuesday, June 4, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Dispelling Hallows “the autumn tapes”

 Dispelling Hallowsthe autumn tapes
Name Your Price Download

                This is very powerful instrumental rock.  Normally when you hear something along these lines (especially the instrumental part) you tend to hear it lean more toward post rock.  But this just flat out rocks.  

                I’ll tell you, I was a spoiled kid.  For a very long time I refused to listen to music if it didn’t have words.  I felt like the lyrics and being able to sing along with them was what connected me to the music.   However, this is simply not true.   You are also connected to the music by the guitars.  And the drums.  And the bass.  And whatever instruments are there.  

                An example (Even a poor one at that) is the song “Radar Love” which begins with the line “Been driving all night my hands are wet on the wheel”.  It then turns into this guitar riff that I noticed one day I always sing along with.   Yes, when you start singing the instrument parts you are ready for instrumental music.

                The first instrumental band I really listened to and appreciated was The Cancer Conspiracy.   Now I’m seemingly listening to instrumental bands more often than not.  Maybe one in five bands I listen to is without vocals.    It’s kind of crazy to think about it, but you just have to let the music move you in ways that vocals otherwise would.

                What made me decide to go on and on about instrumental music in this review?  Well, this music here just flat out rocks, vocals be damned, so you really don’t need a long reasoning as to why to listen to it, now do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment