Tuesday, March 12, 2013

SBSR: Coma Recovery "Goddverb" (Deep Elm)

[Please Note: This review was written a while back, misfiled and is coming to you now courtesy of spring cleaning.  Enjoy]
Coma Recovery "Goddverb" (Deep Elm)

<1> “Red Lightning Child – Great Emptiness” – And we begin not with a whimper, but with a bang.   This keeps sounding like it’s going to kick into something that it never does.   This song clocks in at just over five minutes, and it’s pure instrumental, but it still has a nice quality to it.  
<2> “Liberator” – This song opens more with an organ sound that makes me think I’m in church.   This ambience is actually going on for quite some time.   And just before the 1:45 mark we get a most awesome kick in.   YES!  ROKKEN LIKE DOKKEN!!   And this rock anthem lasts a minute longer than the one before it.  Wow.  Just wow.
<3> “Opener” – Lots more organ sounds.   What I find funny is that I kept hearing instrumental bands I didn’t care about.   I guess all the good ones are hiding on Deep Elm.    And just before the two minute mark, we are kicking in once again.   You know, I used to think that bands needed vocals to sound like this because otherwise they just felt like they were lacking something, incomplete; but now I truly get it.  It’s not that they’re missing something anymore than, say, Beethoven was missing something.   You cannot think of this the same way that you do a band such as The Rolling Stones.  No, this is a symphony and I finally can hear it.   Thank you, Coma Recovery. 
<4> “Goddverb” – I like the guitar effects this one opens up with.   And now it’s kicking in with so much fun.    And now it’s doing this thing that if I had to stick with my classical music theme (Though don’t in anyway mistake this for meaning these guys sound like Trans Siberian Orchestra) this would be kind of like “The Flight of the Bumblebee”, in that moving sort of way, like you’re riding down a hill on a bicycle.   Side Note: This EP is longer than some full length albums I’ve heard.   This song is nearly seven and a half minutes long and the next clocks in at just over eight.    Between the 2:30 and 3:00 mark I could really see some serious movement from the band when playing this song live.   I just got caught up in that moment there, pretty much forgot about there not being any vocals.   Nearing the four minute mark, we get into what I like to describe as the Friday Night Lights sound.    Just passing the five minute mark, I hear noises that sound like screeching vocals but I know aren’t.  And at 5:30, HERE COMES THE THUNDER.   Wow, someone will blow their speakers if they listen to this too loudly.   This would be really fun to drive to at night on an open highway. 
<5>”Illuminator”  - I enjoy the way this song is starting, with the drums slowly coming in a quick way, as if we’re building to something big.  Closing in on two minutes and this is getting really fun.   It’s getting pretty chaotic at 2:45 with sweet drum rolls.   Four minutes and we hit that Friday Night Lights sound again.   Nearing five minutes and business is picking up.   We’re slowing down near seven minutes, but we’re not done.    And we end with a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment