Monday, February 4, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: You’ll Live “Above the Weather”

You’ll LiveAbove the Weather
                When I first heard “When You Hear This It Will Change Everything” I immediately fell in love with the, for lack of a better word, screamo band You’ll Live.   On their follow up, “Above the Weather”, You’ll Live proves why they are much more than just a screamo band.
                Musically (including vocals) You’ll Live comes out with a great deal of screaming (not really so much singing) and a hardcore punk vibe to accompany it.  It reminds me the most, musically, of the band Outline and I have no idea what happened to them. 
                The real story in these songs though is the lyrics.   When you first listen to the album and hear the words being screamed, you will feel somewhat depressed if you are not already.   Within the first few songs my feeling of agreement with the lyrics was mixed with feeling like they were somewhat written in an amateur style.   I do not at all mean that in a bad way though, because it just gives it a much more from-the-heart type of feel versus feeling forced as if they were writing words just to try and be clever or rhyme.    At times, he’ll have lines saying something “sucks” and while it may not be the best choice of word it definitively describes that raw emotion this band extrudes. 
                As the album comes to a close (featuring an audio clip built into a song) you begin to get the feeling that everything will be okay.   While I can echo the early on lyrics of never feeling like you’ll get to make something great out of your life, I cannot at this point in my life come to terms with the fact that everything will be okay.   It’s still a struggle within me, but this album gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment