Friday, November 9, 2012

SHOW PREVIEW: Mirah, Jenny Owen Youngs, Jaymay // The Space // 11/11/12

SHOW PREVIEW: Mirah, Jenny Owen Youngs, Jaymay // The Space // 11/11/12

            After a hurricane and a snowstorm (Don’t worry non-east coast readers, they were at least within separate weeks) the last thing on my mind is going out to a show or doing anything that resembles any form of normalcy and not recovery, but alas, we have an amazing show coming before us.

            When I first began writing about music it opened a lot of doors for me in the sense that I got to hear music that I perhaps might not have otherwise heard.   Some of the earliest music I remember hearing and thinking "Wow, I never would have found this on my own" was the 2001 full length, "Advisory Committee" and the 2002 EP "Cold Cold Water", both released on K Records by Mirah.   We fast forward to some ten years later and the enormous amount of change that has occurred in that time period- not just for me personally but for the world and society as a whole- and I stumble upon a tour date for the aforementioned Mirah headlining a show near me.   I thought, "That looks kind of nostalgic fun, even though Mirah continues to release new music".  In a lot of ways, for me, it's like coming full circle- to coin a cliche phrase (and Pennywise album title)

            In the middle of this bill, we have a very talented young lady named Jenny Owen Youngs, who if you listen to any of her music it actually speaks for itself.   This just makes this show that much more special to me because it has such a deeper meaning than just what you see on paper.   Here we have a headlining act that pretty much sums up my life in music journalism prior to moving away from Connecticut.   And Jenny Owen Youngs, on the flip side, is what could be considered the forefront of things to come in music, not just for me but hopefully for a lot of people.
            Hey, this show is also being opened by the always wonderful Jaymay, who you may or may not know from “How I Met Your Mother” fame, and maybe she plays a lot in New England but having just come back from nearly a decade in Texas this is a pretty big deal to me.

(The show kicks off at 7pm on Sunday night and tickets are $14, which is really worth it for such a well rounded bill.  For more information, please visit: http://www.manicproductions.org/ or stalk them on Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment