Thursday, November 29, 2012

DOUBLE CASSETTE REVIEW: Dual Form Mixed Tape v/a (Stones Throw and Leaving Records)

Dual Form Mixed Tape v/a (Stones Throw and Leaving Records)
            So this is actually a mixed tape.   It’s being packaged and sold as a cassette.  I requested a review copy, hoping to get an actual cassette because I love cassette tapes but instead I just got a download for it.   I’m going to take you through the journey with me of listening to this- song by song- and determining whether or not it will be worth buying the actual, physical cassette tape from the record label putting it out. 
           
            If you don’t own a tape player or just in general dislike cassette tapes for whatever reason, then I’d tell you about all you’re missing out on but you’ll just never know.  The listener who has access to vinyl, cassettes, compact discs, digital music and even the radio has access to the most music and therefore has the advantage. 

<1> "Untitled" – Instrumental mayhem.

<2> "Visions" by The Cyclist – Just over five and a half minutes of instrumental music that tows the line between techno and indie rock.

<3> "Into the Night" by Davis – Nice rhymes over beats.  I’m feeling this one.

<4> "Lions Dream" by dak – Another instrumental song just over a minute long this time.  It’s almost like an interlude between songs but it doesn’t feel like an interlude at all.  I like it and it stands well on its own.

<5> "Labelle Gross" by Oscar McClure – Three and a half more minutes of instrumental indie rock bordering on electronica.   Definitely rocking my headphones in a serious way.

<6> "You & Me Both" by Julia Holter – This lady is singing and this song is live.  I hear birds chirping too, this is pretty far out.  As the crowd is about to cheer at the end of the song, it kicks into the next track.

<7> "Sisters" by Odd Nosdam – This mix started off kind of slow but now it’s really finding its groove.  I’m digging this song from the start. 

<8> "Right Off" by Sun Araw – About five minutes of electronic music with minimal vocals.  Not bad.

<9> "Glue Suit" by Dem Hunger – Electronic jungle beats with clapping.

<10> "Bardo States Dream Walker Version" by Run Dmt – White Stripes guitar riff.   Nasally, slightly distorted vocals.  It’s not a bad song, but it is slow moving so for the purposes of the mix I hope we pick up after this.

<11> "Purple Hay" by Trance Farmers – It sounds like the “Earth Angel” song.  Then when the vocals kick in the comparisons can be made to Hunx.  Still, this is a band I feel I should look further into after listening to this mix. 

<12> "Atimo" by yuk.- See: Track 4.

<13> "Beacon" by SoundWizard B2B & MC Set – A nice hip hop with instruments song that reminds me of A Tribe Called Quest.   A nice way to pick the mix back up as well. 

<14> "Sadnis" by Knx – See: Track 4.

<15> "Conga Dawn" by Ssaliva – Another shorter instrumental song.  I’m almost coming down from track 13.

<16> "Cooked Love, Lady Bomb" by Dream Love – Well, this is bringing me back up in a Polyphonic Spree sort of way.

<17> "Windy Windy" by Dntel –And here come the drum machines… This is a pretty fun song though.

<18> "Peace" by Lapti – This instrumental will get you moving.  I really like this.

<19> "Hawk Wind" by Semya – This instrumental is a little bit slower but not too slowed down to close out the mix.  It seems to end it on a very good note. 

No comments:

Post a Comment