Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SBSR: You’ll Live “Things Would Change if You Heard This”

You’ll LiveThings Would Change if You Heard This
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.

<1> “Just Some Broken Glass” – This has some pretty good screaming in it, and at first there is more than one guy doing the screaming.   There is this great guitar riff that I bet is just spectacular live.   It reminds me of A Trunk Full of Dead Bodies for some reason.
<2> “If Only You Knew” – This kind of has a whiny screaming quality to it, but not enough for me to completely hate it.   I actually really do like it because even though it’s not necessarily hardcore or “screamo”, it’s definitely a step above emo.    I like that it has that added sort of punk to it and the vocals are closer to screaming than whining for certain.   This song also has a nice little part near the end I really enjoy.
<3> “Awake” – This starts a bit quieter at first, then kicks in with the screaming.  I really feel like this band sounds very close to someone I heard before, a while ago, but I just can’t put my finger on who exactly it is yet.   Though, You’ll Live, to their credit, have more complexity to their music. 
<4> “Lost in the Tide” – And we start with clapping.   It could honestly be The Canterbury Effect that I’m hearing in here, but when I reference that band does anyone know what I’m talking about?   This song does have more of an indie rock with screaming feel to it.   I really like this line: “And I go swimming in the ocean where you thought I’d drown / And I play in the graveyard that I hoped to be in by now”   After another two lines it also leads into a nice breakdown. 
<5> “High Fives for Victor” – And if you’re not sold by this song, I have no hope left for you.   Go download these five songs for free and you can thank me later.
Recommended Downloading Level:  4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment