Monday, July 9, 2012

SBSR: Skipping Girl Vinegar “Chase the Sun”

Skipping Girl VinegarChase the Sun
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Chase the Sun” - This first song starts with horns and some la-la’s that remind me of twee, but then when the vocals kick in I hear a cross between Aldous Snow and The Killers.   The chorus has the high pitched la-la’s again, but this still otherwise sounds like The Killers to me, but not in their 1980’s dance way, more like their album that came after that (“Day & Age”)
<2> “Here She Comes” – We open like a cross between the first song and The Beatles.  I also hear pieces of Phantom Planet, as we have this sort of piano driven acoustic rock with some great melody.   Now here come the group vocals.   “Dance till dawn in ‘80’s fashion”.   I like that line. 
<3> “One Chance” – Here comes some clapping and Bob Dylan.   These guys definitely have some force behind their music, that’s for sure.    Should I compare this to Arcade Fire? 
<4> “Sift the Noise” – A tambourine and more Phantom Planet, though this could also be a song from The Muppet Movie.    There’s some cool sort of Spoon horns in here that I like.   You know that Spoon song, right?  The one in all the movies with the horns?  Yeah, you do. 
<5> “Fighting with Gravity” – A slower, more Beatles-esque song.   But I still hear Phantom Planet, damn you.  It’s kind of like their song “Anthem”, but not.   The chorus on this song is cool though, I do like it.
<6> “Drove for Miles” – It’s another sort of ballad, like the song before it, but it is still good nonetheless.   I like the solo just after the two and a half minute mark.   It’s a nice touch.
                I really do like these songs.   They have a nice little blend of everything.  

Recommended Downloading Level:  Not on Band Camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment