Monday, June 25, 2012

MP3 REVIEW: 11 Dots an eMusic eMployee Compilation

11 Dots an eMusic eMployee Compilation
                I feel the need to preface this review by saying that I purchased RCA electronics and inside received a free $10 gift card for eMusic.   I redeemed said gift card, figuring I could download at least one good album and move on.   I did exactly that, as I used the $10 to download the new Blue October album, “Any Man in America”.    Along with several other things, though, I downloaded this as well, free of charge.  
                What I found funny was that after I spent my fee for the Blue October album, I had a remaining balance of $3 and some change.   However, I couldn’t use that amount towards another album that was, say, $4.99 and just pay the difference.   No, if I wanted something more than that I had to pay something like $35 to join eMusic for a month and, well, I just don’t have the time to join a pay music site right now.
                Right off the bat, I was annoyed by eMusic because I had to download a special eMusic manager.   This, essentially, just converted the files that I downloaded into something I could actually play on my computer and blank media.   While the download itself was really fast, the conversion took time.   I often wonder why they just didn’t let me download ZIP folders in my choice of MP3, WAV or MP4 files, but hey, I guess they have to do their thing differently than everyone else and, unfortunately, that just makes things a little bit harder.   (I don’t have to download any special software to get music from Band Camp, Sound Cloud and probably other places as well)
                I only mention all of this because these are the eMusic “eMployee” picks, so seeing as how I find their service to be somewhat flawed I can only wonder if that reflects their taste in music. 
1)      Letters Lost – Pop punk that isn’t quite as good as The Replacements but could be on the radio.   Still, not really for me. 
2)      Johnny Marnell – Like Jack Johnson, but not as good.
3)      Kotorino – This is actually kind of funny.   It’s two guys singing over music you might hear in the circus or something—it’s got a good dance/spy vibe to it.   It’s kind of like Squirrel Nut Zippers actually.   Yeah, let’s go with that.
4)      Verystereo – I don’t like The Wallflowers and I don’t like this.
5)      Diablo Royale – I think I heard this song once in a WWE video game.   Or maybe it’s Creed.  I’m not entirely sure.  Wait… Scott Stapp just called.  He’s going to sue.  It’s Creed.
6)      Assembly of Dust – Ben Folds, you are not.
7)      nonplusx – This is just embarrassing sounds.
8)      Denise Yantin – Anna Nalick.
9)      Vulgaras – Distorted, bass heavy angry chick rock.   The only song on here so far that I actually enjoy.
10)   Keith Patchel – Next.  Just next.
11)   Goodbye Picasso – Acoustic Coldplay.   Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment