Tuesday, May 15, 2012

SBSR: Empire Machines “Empire Machines EP”

Empire Machines “Empire Machines EP”
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Never Enough” – This starts with an indie rock feel, but it turns into something like soft 1980’s/early 1990’s rock.    It reminds me of the band that originally sang “Don’t You Forget About Me”, whose name slips my mind right now.
<2> “Sweet Teeth” – Forgive me, I sort of slept through this song.
<3> “Outpost” – This picks up with some guitars rocking to make a sound that quite isn’t like Ultimate Fakebook or The Juliana Theory but is close.   Definite Elliot Smith vocals in this song as well.
<4> “Dog Eat Dog” – Here we have a definite Muse quality coming through.
<5> “Panda Thief” – We get a lot more synth here.
<6> “Burning Ties” -  This song kind of embodies everything that this band has done on its own so far, without sounding like another band that is to say, and it’s actually my favorite of all these songs.
Recommended Downloading Level:  3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment