Thursday, May 10, 2012

CD REVIEW: The Stanleys Always

The Stanleys Always
While I do like the idea of a band being named The Stanleys (especially if every member of the band is named Stanley, or at least pretends to be) it sounds a lot better on paper than it does coming out of these speakers.
        The first of the four songs on this EP has a nice background musical part going on that I was impressed by for only a half a second.   Then I realized it sounds like that “Right time to roll to me” band (LOOK THAT UP BEFORE SUBMITTING)    The song later goes into some starts and stops in a pop punk style that is heavy on the pop.   
        I’m sure that there is any number of bands out there that I could name to compare this to but for whatever reason Schatzi always struck my mind first.   There aren’t exactly any keys, but it still reminds me of that first Schatzi EP I heard way back when only not nearly as good.
        The best part of this four song EP is that the more you hear the choruses of these songs the more you really hear the fact come through that this sounds an awfully lot like the Barenaked Ladies song “It’s All Been Done Before”.    And indeed, it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment