Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: Ghormeh Sabzi “The Cupcake EP”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
Ghormeh Sabzi “The Cupcake EP”
01: “Cokehead Catholics” [2:57] -- At first I thought this song sounded a bit like Lou Reed, but the more it continues the more the vocals sound to me like that of the late Jim Carroll.   The music has these starts and stops and at times sounds, fittingly, like an organ playing in church.   Good start to this EP; this song is fun.
02: “Hey Curls!” [4:44] -- Here come the Rolling Stones.   More of the similar Brit-rock here, but altogether enjoyable nonetheless.   This is a love song about how much this guy loves some girl’s curly hair.   It’s kind of funny when you think about it, but in a sort of sweet way.
03: “Interlude” [1:38] -- This song sure has a lot of words for an interlude.
04: “Rabies” [3:01] -- A love song of sorts, yes, about how someone is going to break his heart.  I hear Bob Dylan really coming through in these vocals.  I’m also pretty sure I hear an organ.
05: “Tidal Wave” [3:01] -- This song starts off a bit faster and is my favorite on this EP.   It just feels like you’re honestly caught in a tidal wave while you’re listening to it.  It could also double as some sort of surf rock, but not really.
06: “Workers Day” [2:32] -- We have a bit more high pitched vocals here in a song about trying to find a job.   This is at a moderate tempo and seems like a good way to end this EP.
                Almost eighteen minutes of pure rock n roll bliss that reminds me of all of my favorites at the same time, yet really none of them specifically.   I have no idea what a Ghormeh Sabzi is, but you should definitely listen to this if you like cupcakes and, well, who doesn’t love cupcakes?
Recommended Downloading Level:  3/5

1 comment:

  1. Hey ,this is Cameron from Ghormeh Sabzi! Thanks for your nice and apt review! If ya liked this, I hope you'll check out our newest LP "I'm Pretty, as the Expression Goes" ! http://ghormehsabzi.bandcamp.com/album/im-pretty-as-the-expression-goes

    ReplyDelete