Friday, April 20, 2012

SBSR: The Bailout Bureau “Helpless EP”

Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
The Bailout Bureau “Helpless EP”
01: “Homeland Insecurity” [2:36] -- This song seems to so desperately want to be punk rock, but instead comes off sounding new wave or even just electronica.   The part where the woman starts screaming doesn’t do the already distorted vocals any favors.
02: “A fine night for a stakeout” [2:20] -- And here we have an even slower version of the song that preceded this one.  
03: “Self Help Guru” [2:35] -- Well, they’ve found a nice guitar riff, but these vocals still persist in a distorted manner.   He seems to have a nice, deep voice that would come out so much better if not distorted, but oh well, I’m not his band. 
04: “Incognito” [2:20] -- We open with some nice musical parts here, almost like a surf wave of guitar mixed with the faster paced drumming and bass line.   I’m really digging the vibe on this song and near the end it sounds like the wave is crashing.   It’s a good song, if only for its lack of vocals.
05: “Strobes Theme” [1:10] -- A relatively short song based on one main hook, this has no vocals either.  What can I really say?  By now I’ve lost so much interest in this EP.
                Honestly, this whole distorted vocal thing works for Peter Frampton, but I’m not digging it when it comes to being on every second of every song.   I believe the word I’m looking for is “overkill”.    You’re not really missing anything if you so choose to ignore these eleven minutes of music.
Recommended Downloading Level:  1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment