"My Optical Best" Premiered Here ::: Pavan - "My Optical Best"
1) Do you feel music videos should still play an important role in music, such as back in the 1990's?
Well you can get your information fix in lots of ways now so they’re no longer as important in terms of telling the audience things about the bands they like. But then when you want to show someone your new favourite song there’s often an opportunity for a video to pop up on screen so there’s now more potential for your video to be seen than ever. They're as imporatant as you wanna make them really.
2) What was it like in the UK in the 1990's with Mtv and all? The same as the States?
We were 12 in 1999 and hadn’t been to the states so its hard to say. I think Liam Gallagher confirmed it was excellent though. Did you guys ever watch Cartoon Network?
3) What are some of your favorite music videos?
Anything by the Chemical Brothers. The Prodigy ‘Smack my bitch up’ always makes me feel nice and warm inside. More recently, Tame Impala ‘The less I know the better’ has got everything you could ever want to watch on a screen.
4) Do you feel like the music in the videos are as important as the visuals?
Ha well… sometimes its annoying having to come up with the music for the video. Why can’t they just be silent!
5) Your Bandcamp bio says "To stick around for the whole song"- do you think sometimes that is a problem because songs can feel so repetitive?
This is making us paranoid you didn't stick around for the whole song. We tend to favour things minimal and repetitve but its about speaking to people enough in all the ways a good song should. From start to finish.
6) Would you ever release your music on cassette?
Depends. Would we have to manufacture them ourselves? Don’t think they ever came up with a ‘copy all’ short cut did they.
7) What do you think is the best way to get people to look up from their phones and just experience life?
Start screaming your head off like you’ve lost the plot.
8) Final thoughts, shout outs, etc... ??
Shout out to the wonderful Jamie Gyngell who directed the video for ‘My Optical Best’ which we recorded live in a tiny greenhouse set to some quite tasty slow-moving zoom shots.
And a shout out to DJ Koze