Thursday, May 10, 2018

CD Review:
Lost Bayou Ramblers
"Kalenda"


https://www.lostbayouramblers.com/music

When I first pressed play on this CD I was unsure as to what I was listening to exactly.   Right away, this sounds like polka to me but then when the pace picks up it starts to sound like Andrew W.K.   This also makes me question whether or not Andrew W.K. is polka or not.  It's upbeat and through the various instruments somehow reminds me of the melody found in a band such as Pearl Jam.   At one point he just talks over bass beats and drums and I'm not sure what he is talking about either but this is the type of music which is wild enough to not need translation.

Distorted bass lines like the White Stripes can break down into all sorts of chaos.  It's like Queens of the Stone Age but with fiddles.   It's bluegrass at times, but really, it's just unlike anything I've heard before and I really like how it seems to be either carving out this niche genre or just bringing more attention to it if it does happen to exist and this is just my first time hearing it.

Listening to the Lost Bayou Ramblers for the first time is like listening to a band I cannot describe for the first time.   How many times in your life do you get to experience something like this?  The only other time I can think of when I heard something like this was back when Flogging Molly released "Swagger" only this does differ quite a bit from them musically.    It's a lot of fun to listen to and really just not like anything you've likely heard before.   I fell instantly in love with this.










No comments:

Post a Comment