Friday, November 17, 2017

Music Review: Native Sun "Songs Born From Love and Hate" (Papercup Music)



Everyone likes to sit back and think about the good old days, but were the "good old days" really so great?   I remember near the turn of the century going to this little club- which I believe has since closed down- to see the Damn Personals open for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.   It was probably one of the most rock n roll shows I've seen because of the intimacy of it.    I look back at that and think "That's rock n roll!" but people who were alive in the 1960's and 1970's might disagree with me.

So what can we do?  We can stop living in the past.   We can push forward.   The good old days might have been good, sure, but they're done.   They're over.   We need to keep moving forward.   We need to focus on what is to come rather than what has been.   There is a new face of rock n roll and their name is Native Sun.    If nothing else, please take that away from these five songs.

The thing is, when I was younger rock n roll was cool, it was dangerous.   Then something changed and it became almost wholesome (I blame Creed).    Remember when these rock n roll fused punk bands came out and all had names that started with "The"?   The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines, etc?   Yeah, Native Sun could fit in with them to an extent but I also feel like Native Sun could be their leader.

With hints of Oasis, I feel like the time for this type of psych-rock n roll to return has never been more dire.   Some may argue that it never really left so it can't return, but I disagree.   There hasn't really been a prominent band in rock n roll in quite some time and I feel like Native Sun could usher the era of rock music back in.     Not what's on the radio and not what you've heard before, Native Sun is cool and it's time to bring that back.

No comments:

Post a Comment