Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Cassette Review: Vincent von Flieger "Tropical Block" (VERYDEEPRECORDS)


[€7 // Edition of 50 // https://verydeeprec.bandcamp.com/album/tropical-block]

People always say you shouldn't live in a world where things are black and white and I tend to agree with that, but I find myself torn between two different sides now more so than ever.   I have my own personal battles being fought inside myself right now, but I also just feel like a lot of what I tend to feel about music and when people write reviews about it comes out in this cassette from Vincent von Flieger.   My issue is that this cassette can hit home with me in ways that can make it seem rather personal, but yet whenever I read a review from someone going off on this personal tale I just want to scream "Write more about the music!" at them.

But I do feel like music- especially when it has lyrics- should be relate-able and as such I am glad that I can find those pieces of me inside of these songs.   One song is actually called "Yoga" and I thought it was going to be about how he does yoga and is therefore somehow better than everyone else, but it actually just touches upon the point that he feels like he should do yoga and, well, I feel the same way.   I've actually watched videos on YouTube, checked books and DVDs out of the library, etc. and just feel like I *should* be doing yoga even though I am not and so I really was drawn to these songs right away because of that.   (And had that song been about him singing the praises of doing yoga daily I would not have been as easily drawn to it)

The sound of Vincent von Flieger on "Tropical Block" have this dreamy guitar slide feel.   They're a bit of Bob Dylan at times, but they also can just be dark and sad.     It's a big feel as well, which makes me think it could be like something off of the "Godzilla" soundtrack if only because of that song Puff Daddy did with Zeppelin ("Come With Me") and even though nothing on here really sounds similar to that it just has that same huge presence as I get from when I actually saw that song performed live once.

At the same time the songs have this feeling of Eric Clapton, maybe even Cream, as it could be that white room with black curtains or even through the desert on a horse with no name type of vibe.   Yet it still remains somewhat modern- even if I don't have the exact modern comparison and can only relate it with something such as Two Gallants or Blue October.   I'm sure someone with a stronger grasp on modern music, maybe even at a radio level, could give you a better comparison point but at the end of the day would it even matter?   These songs are good and you just need to listen to them to get your own sort of take on them anyway.











No comments:

Post a Comment