Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Cassette Review: Gabby La La "Covers" (Captain Crook Records)


[$6 // Edition of 25 // https://captaincrookrecords.bandcamp.com/album/covers]

I thought this was available by itself as well, but as it turns out the only way to get it is the way that I got it: with a bonus mystery cassette and CD.   I don't know why, but for some reason I thought that the CD and cassette were going to be the same in terms of them both being "Covers" by Gabby La La and I was somehow okay with that if it meant getting another mystery cassette as part of the deal.   Perhaps I just also like cover songs as well, so that brought me here because who doesn't like singing along to a song you already know with somebody else.

The funny thing is, I know four out of the five artists on this cassette that are covered (Sorry, Lykke Li) but I don't recognize any of the songs other than Gotye because I really don't listen to She & Him or Bjork.   Also, there used to be this band once, a long time ago, in CT called First Aid Kit and whenever I see this more popular version of the name I always think of them but now it is not the same one.

Through soft acoustics and a loud voice, Gabby La La cranks out the covers which for all I know could be original songs by her up until the last one.   "Sentimental Heart" (which is originally by She & Him) has this Cyndi Lauper vibe to it, but I'm not sure if it's because of Gabby La La or the original.   I also really like her Gotye cover though, and that is a song I feel like everyone was covering at one point (Some artists made a career off of it) so to be able to hear it here and still like it really speaks volumes about it.

If you have all of the cassettes and CDs released by Captain Crook Records then buying this as a package deal for $6 might seem like more than the $3 you're used to paying for a cassette from the Captain, but at the same time, if you get dupes you can always trade them for music you don't yet have.    At some point in my life, growing up with baseball cards, Pokemon, etc, I feel like that's one of the things I like most about cassettes as well-- is that trading factor of it all as well.   There is just a more personal feel with it.    Really though, this is a good deal for two cassettes and a CD and you should really do it even if you're just paying the six bucks for five songs by Gabby La La.








No comments:

Post a Comment