Friday, April 1, 2016

CD Review: Dark Matter Noise "Blackwing"



One of the things which I like most about "Blackwing" is that it feels like two albums stuck together at the same time and trying to pull itself in different directions.   Almost everything on here is in contrast to something else.   As much as the synth can take you into darkness, there are piano keys to take you into the light.   Even when you think it's going to be all male vocals there are a few spots of female vocals on here as well.

This all only seems fitting because "Blackwing" is a representation of someone who I used to be and the person that I now am at the same time.   At some point in my youth I listened to a lot of Marilyn Manson and artists in that genre.   It got bad.  I even listened to that whole Godsmack album they first put out and I can hear a little bit of that in here.   But that was who I was maybe in my late teens and early twenties-- I don't know, I don't keep official records of such things.

I remember one time a friend of a friend had told me that he dated a girl and they didn't click but she would be more of my type because she listened to all of that "alternative" music that I listened to and, well, as we all know that could mean anything but it meant a lot of artists you would find on the Family Values Tour.   That part of me changed because I felt like a lot of that music was about complaining and when I got into hardcore it seemed to be more like doing something about it.

Yet here I sit, in 2016, and I can honestly say that pieces of these songs on "Blackwing" can even remind me of some of the more recent releases by Illegal Wiretaps and listening to Illegal Wiretaps is one of the many facets of who I am now.    So while I feel like it's easy to think of this as being something I would've listened to in my past when I wore black JNCOs and guyliner (Okay, that was only once and it was to a Marilyn Manson show, but still) and had one of those big silver ball necklaces and a chain wallet... But the amazing thing is that this music still resonates with me today.

I might no longer be the person who listens to all of the music I listened to as a youth, but enough of it stuck around for me (Nine Inch Nails, for example-- can't recall the last time I listened to Marilyn Manson though) that I can still hear it in here, haunting me, while yet offering something new that I haven't quite heard before and so in that way it appeals to the current me.    It is certainly difficult if not seemingly impossible to find that balance of old and new, but Dark Matter Noise has managed to do just that.  







No comments:

Post a Comment