Friday, April 15, 2016

Cassette Review: The Story of Who Framed Roger Rabbit


Not that long ago, I found myself on eBay searching for "Roger Rabbit", as I tend to do, when this result popped up.   It was going for only $1.00 as a Buy-It-Now and looked to be in good shape so I picked it up quickly because I'd probably end up paying more for it if I found it at Savers.  

I'm always so fascinated for some reason by the cassettes which exist that aren't your typical music albums.    I know of a few others which exist that I simply not own (yet) and then I also see some at Savers based upon characters like Winnie the Pooh that I just don't care about, but I mean, how cool is this?

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is one of my all-time favorite movies.   I will like just about anything that comes from it.   But this... This is exactly the type of thing I love to randomly find at a thrift store or on eBay (the virtual thrift store).  

It comes in this record sized packaging because of the book including which is definitely an added bonus.   I do wonder if Disney ever released any other movies in a similar form and if they did- depending upon the movie- I'd likely be up for checking them out.

What the cassette itself features is the movie.   I know what you're thinking and, yes, it is the whole movie.   The only thing is that much of the movie is visual and since the audio is here only then you would lose something if it was just the idea of the audio track being taken from the movie without the images.  

Instead, this version of the movie offers a narrator.   In a lot of ways, it's like an entire new way of experiencing "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", something I might not want to do with every movie I've ever seen but again, given the movie and what it means to me I'm more than willing to explore this new dimension of it.

Part radio show, part actual movie (As they do use the dialogue from the film) this has a certain detective noir to it mixed with those old time radio shows I love so much.   If "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was to be imagined prior to the advent of film then this might be the result and in a lot of ways it always has had that pulp feel to me so this just seems to be all so perfect.    And, you know, it doesn't hurt that the audio is on a cassette most of all.







No comments:

Post a Comment