Friday, December 4, 2015

Record Review: Lost Trail "A Foreground And A Backdrop" (Bleeding Gold Records)



The first time I heard Lost Trail was as part of a split cassette with Kamrar.   Since then, I've heard Lost Trail both digitally and on cassette and if you're not familiar with the way I hear music for me digital and CD share little differences though often times the only advantage of the CD is the artwork.    Not only is this my first time experiencing Lost Trail on vinyl I'm fairly certain it is their first time being released on vinyl as well (Though I might be mistaken in that, so feel free to correct me-- either way, it's my first time still)   People might not think of vinyl as being that big of a deal but there are people out there who prefer vinyl over everything else and might even be snobs towards cassettes and digital so they might be hearing Lost Trail for the first time here.

"A Foreground And A Backdrop" opens with a swirling harmony.   Feedback takes into a sort of abyss and there is also a sort of transmission trying to come through.    Static is being used at its utmost and though there may not actually be vocals singing through here it does like they are stuck in a vortex somewhere.    An audio clip can definitely be heard now and then the way this static begins to be manipulated just makes me feel as if Lost Trail have perfected the craft of controlling the wind.    Sharpness takes us into a feeling of that old Buffalo Springfield song "For What It's Worth".   

Full on radio static brings us into something eerie but also rather close to reality.   I'm not sure why and you may or may not also experience this in here, but when I was a kid I used to go to movies nearly every weekend in the movie theaters (I haven't been to a movie theater in a really long time) and one movie I remember seeing which has always stuck with me was "Fire in the Sky".    Imagine seeing that movie as a thirteen year old as it just feels so real.   That's how I feel about a lot of the vibe on this Lost Trail record-- it's eerie and has that haunted sense to it like I'd refer to in other cases as "The Twilight Zone", "X-Files" or just as a horror movie but yet this just feels more realistic and down to earth.   I can't explain it other than to reference the movie "Fire in the Sky", but hopefully you understand even if you have to watch a movie to do so.

Wavy hues bring us into big distorted beats and then there are these back and forth sort of beeping tones but yet it has a pleasant sound to it.    Heavy percussion crashes within distortion take us into a wind tunnel and then a drum solo somehow.   This just further serves as an example of the multi-faceted talents of Lost Trail, bringing you into a piece of music in a way which you seem familiar with after listening to their music before this one and yet still taking you out of your comfort zone and showing you something new.    For all of the music that Lost Trail releases this seems essential because it is a record (And, for me, it's one of those instances of "I don't collect records, but I need this record in my small collection because it's Lost Trail") and yet also it is just a brilliant piece of music which translates so well on vinyl.   






No comments:

Post a Comment