Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Cassette Review: The Lucks "Grease Monkey" (Sir Gregory Records)


[https://thelucks.bandcamp.com/album/grease-monkey // https://www.facebook.com/sirgregoryrecords]

The Lucks have a Bandcamp page which has the audio up for a Name Your Price Download but doesn't seem to point you in any sort of direction as to how to buy this as a cassette or it even existing as one.   On one hand, I kind of wish they'd have a link to at least go to Sir Gregory Records' Facebook page but having a Sir Gregory Records Bandcamp page linked up with The Lucks Bandcamp page is how it's mostly done these days.  I'm not sure whether or not I just be underwhelmed or think it's cool that it adds this element of mystery and isn't all in your face like "BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME".

When I listen to this music I hear a band I've heard a thousand times before and yet I cannot name a thousand bands who sound like this because it's just that familiarity of it all.   Clanky rock n roll played ala rockabilly/Stray Cats at times and even with elements of surf infused it has a distinct sound which I've always thought more bands should excel at but it seems to be only a once-in-a-while I hear it done right.   Somewhat remniscent of Lucero's "Nobody's Darlings" it's definitely a wild ride to take.

Though there are also elements of TSOL I still remember back to some time in the early 2000's when everything was becoming blended with country- specifically rock n roll and punk rock- and this seems like something that could have been lost in the shuffle back then and it would have been a shame because it's just so much fun to listen to it now.   It doesn't need a gimmick or a "what everyone else is doing right now" type of idea to just go out there and rock and that's exactly what The Lucks do: rock.






No comments:

Post a Comment