Friday, September 4, 2015

Cassette Review: Bukkake Moms "Philosophical Perversion + Live at Rubber Gloves" (Some Weird Sin Records)



This cassette has the distinction of being the only one sent to me by Some Weird Sin Records to not feature Boys Age.  I'm not really sure what my expectations were going into this because of that though because it wasn't something so easy as "Well, it's obviously going to sound like Boys Age" because Boys Age is such a diverse outfit that I'm not sure which one a statement like that would even refer to exactly.    But I was also excited and interested in this cassette before listening to it simply because it has a studio recording on Side A and then a live performance recording on Side B.

The music of Bukkake Moms is not something which can be placed exactly but only approximately.   Punk n roll, TSOL and Suicidal Tendencies all come to mind as there are spoken word punk type rock sounds.     Elements of both Primus and Guttermouth can be found, two bands which I know I refer to quite often but I do not believe I've ever done so together before.   Though it can get a little bit poppy at times it is just as much chaotic and hectic which reminds me in a lot of ways of the fast paced speed of something such as Descendents.  

The live side shows you why you should not just sit on your couch listening to music and should instead venture outside and see bands when they perform live.  I know I am perhaps the most guilty of this because in my older years now I don't really want to go out at all let alone at night time, but these songs are plowed through heavier and faster than what is on Side A.   I can hear some Thermals in here but it just has that raw attitude to it which you know you want to not just hear coming from your stereo speakers but from the creators themselves.

I wouldn't say that I have a long list of bands who play faster and harder live than they do on recording, but I know Guttermouth is one of those bands who rips through their two minute songs in even less time when performing live.   It's not uncommon for this to occur, but I still love when it does because sometimes you get the bands who just somehow slow down and sound worse live than they do when recorded.  (They know who they are)  This cassette gives you the unique opportunity to witness the recorded power of Bukkake Moms both in the form of a studio (or there abouts) and in a live setting as well.   Both sides are just as good as each other for different reasons and if this doesn't inspire you to go out and see a show then you need to quit music right now.  





No comments:

Post a Comment