Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Cassette Review: Static/Voice/Static "Mew & I"


[$3 // Edition of 5 // https://staticvoicestatic.bandcamp.com/album/mew-i]

I'm not sure why, but when I was listening to this Static/Voice/Static cassette, I was feeling a bit nostalgic and thought quite a bit about what brought me to find and listen to these cassettes in the first place.    One of the biggest factors for me (don't ask me why) was that there was an edition of 5 of the first one I bought and each cover was different.   I thought that was just the coolest somehow, as it made every copy seem that personal and yet those four other people and me would still have kind of sort of the same thing.

"Mew & I" does have five different covers and I'm not sure if all of the Static/Voice/Static cassette releases have been this way- I don't think they all have been- but I stopped paying attention really once I started just listening to them for the music.     And what music takes over this cassette!   We begin with Transformer whirrs which are stuck in loops with some haunting sounds mixed in.    It can be alarm-like and electronic, yet also trippy and hollow static until that didgeridoo kicks in.

It's funny because it's so long and just seems to repeat but it feels like in a lot of ways as the side goes on you sort of become numb to it.    I currently live in a two family house above a daycare and so the bottom floor is all "safety first" and has lots of alarms that often are set off in the middle of the night by nothing.    This has happened maybe only twice since we've lived here, but still, I try to sleep through them, not so much being able to blend them into the background but just becoming used to them.

On the flip side we have dreamy space synth, which can become quieter with space drifting, you know, in the way an astronaut can abandon ship and just go float until it's all over.    There are sounds of faint voices, waves crashing and then what just seems to be ghosts.     I've been thinking a lot lately about some young filmmaker coming up and turning these soundtracks into short films and boy would they have their hands full with the Static/Voice/Static catalog.    Could you imagine the great sci-fi movies we could get from this?  

Even if you just created a small surface to shoot in and had stop motion animation (I mean, if you're going to have an astronaut floating in space it's not going to be that tricky to shoot, the tricky part is the just interpreting the music) I think that this could be something worth looking into for someone.    But if not, we at least can just sit back, close our eyes and creates our own movies.







No comments:

Post a Comment