Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cassette Review: the dictaphone "the dictaphone" (tolmie terrapin)


[$5 // http://tolmieterrapinpress.bandcamp.com/album/the-dictaphone]

What is a dictaphone?  I'm glad you asked.   Though it is a brand name now, like Band Aid, it used to just refer to various versions of recording devices which were used to take dictation.   Just imagine those microcassette recorders students had in class to take notes without having to scribble endlessly on their college ruled notebooks.    (How are those student loans working out for ya?)   What you need to know about the dictaphone in terms of this music though is that it is L-O-U-D.

I like to think of this as being more of a megaphone than a dictaphone because I imagine these songs being shouted through megaphones from rooftops or stages somewhere which most people might link back to Scott Weiland but I've also seen the band Blue Meanies and I'm sure others do as well, some I just can't even think of right now because I've already had to tell my son twice to let go of the cat.

It begins as a cross between Tora Tora Torrance, The Killers and Franz Ferdinand but just goes louder and strays for that sort of radio rock sound that became popular under the guidance of two of those bands listed.    Hints of The (International) Noise Conspiracy, a little bit trippy at times like Spacehog and the mentality of Sex Pistols brings this somewhere between something like I've never heard before but something that you do need to hear.

The guitar riffs resonate, they buzz... It grows hypnotic with the drums ala Green Day or Queens of the Stone Age.    But mostly, yes, this is plug into the amp and take it to eleven loud because it's still rock n roll to me.    I would love to be able to put a specific comparison on this because it would just mean that such a great sound still exists but this seems to stand alone and it just makes it that much more special.






No comments:

Post a Comment