Monday, December 1, 2014

Cassette Review: Floralplasm "Algaeic"


[$7 // Edition of 100 // https://shredderghost.bandcamp.com/album/algaeic]

You can never really know what to expect from a cassette based upon the name, or at least most cassettes because some might be more straight up with what they are, and Floralplasm is no exception to that.   What I thought would be an electronic act turned into something a little bit different.

It begins as electronic noise and adds in beeps, static synth and goes on in loops.   There are these bits of flying lasers and just sounds as if technology is at war with itself but if it is doing so in space.   I don't know why, maybe it is the sci-fi kid in me, but I imagine a world overrun by robots.   As such, the humans who remain do the only plausible thing they can think of- build more robots to destroy the existing ones.  (It's basic Godzilla strategy)    However, these two groups of robots don't get along, sure, but the second ones created have no interest in saving the human race either.   So a giant spaceship is built, all the robots are somehow tricked into getting on it and then they go fight to the death in space.   Hooray, humanity is temporarily saved once again!

Side B begins with some R2D2 robotic parts, which seem to carry over from Side A, and that turns into laser blasts which bring out a sound of broken 8bit.    Some lower notes such as a dial tone come out next and I feel as if the robot war is over.    Lasers scratch, whirrs come through and then there is a repeated sound of levelling up, just furthering my belief of this being some sort of 8bit glitch.    Grinding rhythmic loops as if a factory is working as a well oiled machine take us to our end with some trumpet notes as well.   Is this the part where America goes back to work and the sad song plays while some dead jazz musician sings "And I think to myself... what a wonderful world"?   Probably.

I don't really know why, but I was expecting something electronic on this cassette, maybe like something from the "Run Lola Run" soundtrack but instead I found more of a harsh electro mixed with 8bit glitch (Can I call it "8bitch"?  Please?) and it is just super awesome.






No comments:

Post a Comment