Wednesday, November 26, 2014

MP3 Review: PEOPLE//TALK "People//Talk EP" (Bleeding Gold Records)


[Name Your Price Download // $8 for CD // Edition of 150 // https://bleedinggoldrecords.bandcamp.com/album/bg083-people-talk-ep]

This is available as a CD from Bleeding Gold and so while I'm kind of wondering what I'm missing in the artwork and packaging by doing the download thing, I'm fine with burning this to a CD myself and pretending like I'm the cool guy.   Okay, so yeah, technically you *should* buy this as a CD to support the artist and label and really if you're going to get it as a download try to give at least four or five bucks because music really shouldn't be free.

When this sort of self-titled CD begins the first thing that I can hear coming out is the song lyrics "Every time I see you falling, I get down on my knees and pray".   So, yes, oddly enough I do tend to relate music more closely to lyrics first and then after that go through and say "Oh yeah, that's "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order" as opposed to just thinking "This sounds like New Order", but don't ask me why my mind works that way it just does.

The overall effect of a 1980's or 1990's band remains and there are synth laced parts as well which could have someone putting this in a genre with synth attached to it ("synthwave", "synthrock", "synthcore", "deathsynth", I don't know) and then something between The Church and Illegal Wiretaps comes out, which is nice to always keep that older band feeling alive (Though The Church are touring the states, just not my state) with the newer music feel, as the Illegal Wiretaps are fairly modern.

"Laura" is the last song on this EP and it is a great dance number that wants you to get up and move around.   Though it really doesn't sound anything like it, I still feel the same vibes from it as I get from a song like the ultimate "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo.   So does that mean this is good party music?   The last song, sure.   The others... depends upon the crowd.  But I do enjoy this immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment