Monday, November 10, 2014

Cassette Review: Argil & Loïc Joseph "Parallax Tapeloop" (Tanuki Records)


[£6 // Edition of 50 // https://tanukirecords.bandcamp.com/album/parallax-tapeloop]

What you can expect to hear on "Parallax Tapeloop" are two different levels of music that are sometimes stand alone but often times intersect each other.    It's that mix of sounds from an experimental/noise genre mixed with audio sampling that- at least to me- seems to be candid.

Whether it sounds like a dinner party or crowded restaurant the audio clips on here are of spoken words and generally by more than one person at a time.   As much as I'd like to believe it was all done with permission I like to think even more that it was done with a sort of hidden recording device though the person recording it would have been in the room.

Sometimes there are beats and drop tones and sometimes this is just rather soft sounding.   Church bells seem to repeat at one point which makes me question if any of the spoken audio was sampled from a church either before or after the service.    Little dings come out during what I translate to be the party guest scene and that fits together all too well.

The only thing I really can't make all that much sense of is the ever present sound of horses galloping.    Were the audio clips perhaps designed for a farm or stable?   As far as I can tell no, but perhaps my thinking on this one is going in the wrong direction.    Or perhaps they are just there to throw me off.   Either way, let this one paint a picture for you.









No comments:

Post a Comment