Tuesday, September 23, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Trumpet Trumpet Synthesizer / Horaflora Split (Weird Ear Records)


            While this is my first time experiencing either of these artists, it is also my first time listening to anything associated with Weird Ear Records.   After hearing this though, I can only assume that their name is Weird Ear because it takes a particular type of listening to enjoy this music.   I’m not saying that it’s bad—I’m saying that it’s not for everyone.

            Trumpet Trumpet Synthesizer starts us off with, what else, the noise of a horn that I presume to be a trumpet.  Any notions you might have of this being related to jazz or any genre of music that uses horns exclusively should be thrown out of the window right now.  As quickly as the horns make their presence felt here they seemingly just as quickly disappear.

            This music is pretty hard to explain because what happens isn’t typical and when it does happen it is few and far between.   A lot of this is so quiet that you can almost feel as if it’s dead air.  It is a great deceiver in making me believe that the side was over when it was not.  There are some Frampton-like distorted vocals, some gargling of some kind, a brief scream and sharp feedback.   This all comes to a close with high pitched frequencies and for something that seems to quiet there certainly seems to be a lot going on.

            Horaflora is on the flip side and I’m waiting for it to sound just as quiet and impossible to decipher when these noises of creaking and laughing come through.  I feel like I’m in a fun house on Halloween and the sound effects are trying to scare me out.   Yet, there is also this hint of Wookiee in the sound that makes me think perhaps it was recorded on another planet. 

            From some scratchy, stretchy and buzzing noises this turns into bug zapper drone before we hear a… slide whistle...Yup, sounds like a slide whistle to me.   And I don’t know why but I really want to call this one Wookiee Drone and so I shall.    











No comments:

Post a Comment