Thursday, September 25, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: shredderghost “I Guess”


            What begins with guitar notes that could be something out of Jimi Hendrix’s “Star Spangled Banner” continue into something else, but the guitar based ideas maintain through the entirety of the “I Guess” cassette.   I was expecting to write something about ghosts on this one, but sadly, I have found no such comparison to make.

            This is mellow, like the soundtrack to some forgotten television show.  But it isn’t strictly that sort of melodic vibe, though the repeating patterns tend to make me think that it could have been the soundtrack to something from the time of “Family Ties”, though maybe not that show specifically.

            Through some tape manipulation comes machine gun like skips which does take us into a turn for the glitch.   This is what steers us away from that sort of whole-heartedness and everything fake about television and simply reminds us all that we are human.

            Everyone knows that one person who has a standard answer to everything.   Sometimes that one person’s answer is “I Guess”.    The looping natures of this cassette make me feel as if that one friend you have or maybe a co-worker is stuck in their own conversational loop.  (I actually used to know someone who would respond to most everything with “Okay”)   Aside from that though, there is nothing standard or generic about this as the guitar work just goes above and beyond the call of duty.  






No comments:

Post a Comment